Sunday, August 14, 2011

My 2 cents on Tiger Woods

Well it looks like there's been some massive movement up and down the leaderboard after day 2 and 3 of the 93rd PGA Championship. Instead of writing about what happened, I'll let someone else explain by providing this link to BleacherReport.com for what happened on day 2 and day 3. The most noticeable thing is that there are some virtually unknown names at the top of the leaderboard going into the final round today. I mean who the hell is Brendan Steele?? Jason Dufner?? Both are leading the tournament at -7. One good thing is that we're finally seeing a good American presence at the top, which has been lacking of late. I like it when it's fair like that.



So this time I'd like to focus more on performance analysis, and on Tiger Woods in particular. Undoubtedly, he is the biggest name not playing over the weekend. Even as I write this, I can hear the Golf Channel in the background talking about him 'hitting rock bottom' and 'the work he needs to do' etc etc.

(getty images)

The thing is, I have never really been a fan of Tiger Woods, but I agree that at his best, he is the greatest player of this era. Admittedly, it has actually been rather difficult to watch him go through the last 2 years dealing with his personal problems, and seeing how heavily it has affected his game. To watch him mess up his round on Friday, with some fairly wild shots, it was astonishing to say the least. I thought only us amateurs make mistakes like that. I really feel for him.

It's obvious that there is still a lot on Tiger's mind. With a new swing to work with, he will probably be very conscious of how he is hitting each shot, and trying to be very rigid and mechanical about. When I changed my swing I had the same problems. I'm just not sure why it's taking Tiger so long to fine-tune his new swing. The Golf Channel commentators suggested that he take more time to practice. But how much more could he achieve by doing that?  I say he keeps playing, and eventually things will start to come into place. They always do. But as I have seen over the past couple of days, it can be safe to assume that it will be a long road for Tiger. I wouldn't hold my breath for a win any time soon. The most concerning thing to me is, if he doesn't find his mojo soon, EA sports might have to put someone else's name on the video game!  

What's on your mind bro? Tiger having a miserable 2nd round (Reuters)

Anyway back to the tournament. I will still try and catch bits of the final round of the PGA Championship just to see who gets the title this year. That leaderboard sure looks unfamiliar without the big names on the top. Steve Stricker is still there, 3 strokes behind at -4 which is great. Last week's winner Adam Scott is at -2. It will take one hell of a fightback for him to win, but i do hope he tries. Since anything can happen, I won't predict anything today. If Brendan Steele or Jason Dufner win tomorrow, it will catapult them to fame in an instant. That would be quite a story too.

Brendan Steele, -7 after 3 rounds (Getty Images)

No comments:

Post a Comment